Engaging Staff and Students
Go Green is a way to engage with staff and students with the aim of embedding a culture of environmental excellence.
Persuading and encouraging staff and students to adopt and sustain green behaviours requires a cultural shift.
The positive cultural, environmental and financial benefits gained from Go Green are significant and can be a powerful agent for staff engagement and empowerment and can deliver a contribution of the University’s environmental targets and bring about financial efficiency savings.
Thank you for Going Green.
7 Ways to Go Green
Go Green promotes a set of behaviours:
Switch it off
- Switch off any unused and unneeded lights and power consuming equipment.
- When away from your desk switch off your monitor and lights
- Overnight and at weekends switch off your computer, monitor and lights
- If you are the last to leave, turn off the printers and copiers
- Switch off fume cupboards when they are not in use
Reduce, reuse, recycle
- Simply put “use less” where possible
- Reusing items and finding new uses for items avoids creating waste
- Recycle everything possible
- Recycle your packed lunch remains at home if it can’t be recycled at work
- Reuse envelopes for internal mail and consider if an envelope is needed at all
Think before you print
- Consider whether you really need to print or copy, print and copy as little as possible.
- Edit on screen not on paper
- Use email to minimise paper use
- Send and store documents electronically instead of on paper
- Circulate documents instead of making an individual copy for everyone.
- When you print or copy, do it double sided and multiple pages to a page (contact IT support if you need assistance email@example.com )
- Avoid printing in colour wherever possible
- Use scrap paper for drafts and messages
Don’t waste water
- Don’t leave taps or laboratory taps running after use.
- Do not leave water running from equipment when not required.
- If you spot a leak, any unnecessary use of water (eg. if the push taps stay on), a dripping tap or a constantly flushing urinal, report it as quickly as you can to the Estates Helpdesk firstname.lastname@example.org or ext 2550. Report
Plan your journey, share your journey
- Plan your appointments and trips to avoid multiple journeys wherever possible
- Use route planner guides to plan journeys
- Try to car-share or consider public transport when travelling to off-site meetings
- Do you really need a face to face meeting or would a telephone call be sufficient?
- Cycle, bus or car share when commuting to work
Think before you buy
- Do you really need to buy it? (think Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
- Can you buy a green version? (contact procurement for advice)
- Include environmental factors in your specification when requesting quotes or tenders
Speak up and challenge
- Take responsibility and positively challenge poor environmental practice
- Encourage and help colleagues to adopt the Go Green behaviours
- If you see an opportunity to reduce our impact on the environment, speak up and let someone know, contact the Estates Helpdesk email@example.com or ext 2550.