Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021 - Appeals Process
Appeals Process (April 2020)
The REF2021 Appeals Process is for members of staff on Academic contracts or Research contracts who wish to appeal against the University's decision to identify them as:
- having or not having Significant Responsibility for Research (SRR) and hence affecting their submission to REF2021 (Academic Contract); or
- being identify or not identify them as being Independent Researchers (IR) and hence affecting their submission to REF2021 (Research Only Contract)
The criteria for the identification of staff for submission to REF2021 are set out in the University’s REF2021 Code of Practice. The Code also sets out the procedures for staff to appeal against identification decisions.
We would hope to resolve any issues staff might have with their identification through informal discussions.
Grounds for Appeal are as follows
- Exclusion based on personal protected characteristics – relating to age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or recently given birth.
- Inappropriate application of the criteria for SRR or IR in the University Code of Practice.
- Inappropriate application of the criteria for SRR or IR as set out in the REF Guidance on Submissions (REF2019/01).
The following are NOT grounds for appeal:
- Credibility of the University’s review process and judgements concerning individual staff’s research outputs.
- Allocation of individual’s research outputs to a specific UoA.
Please therefore ensure that you have spoken with your Associate Dean Research and Enterprise before submitting a formal appeal.
If, however, any issues cannot be resolved and you wish to appeal against this decision then you must submit to the Appeals Process with the completed relevant Appeals form:
|REF Appeals - Independent Researcher|
|REF Appeals - Significant Responsibility for Research|
Please ensure that the completed form and any additional information is submitted to Ruth Sivori, Head of Human Resources by 5pm Friday 24 April 2020.
All appeals will be considered by the Appeals Panel:
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Professor Tim Thornton (Chair)
- A minimum of 2 out of the 7 Associate Deans Research and Enterprise not connected to the appellant:
- Professor Roger Phillips (Applied Sciences)
- Professor Patricia Tzortopoulos (Art, Design and Architecture)
- Professor Simon Iwnicki (Computing and Engineering)
- Professor Paul Thomas (Education and Professional Development)
- Professor Stuart Roper (Huddersfield Business School)
- Professor Nick Hardiker (Human and Health Sciences)
- Professor Monty Adkins (Music, Humanities and Media)
- Director of Human Resources, Siobhan Moss
You will be informed of the outcome of your appeal in writing.