Individual Staff Circumstances - Appeal Process
Individual Staff Circumstances - Appeals
The Appeal Process is for members of staff who wish to appeal against the University's decision not to lower expectations relating to submission of outputs for REF following consideration of an application for individual circumstances to be taken into account.
Applicable staff circumstances are:
- Qualifying as an ECR (started career as an independent researcher on or after 1 August 2016 i.e. leading your own research as opposed to carrying our research directed by others)
- Absence from work due to secondments or career breaks outside the HE sector, during which you did not undertake academic research
- Qualifying periods of family-related leave
- Disability (including chronic conditions)
- Ill heath, injury or mental health conditions
- Constraints relating to family leave that fall outside of the standard allowances
- Caring responsibilities
- Gender reassignment
The grounds for Appeal are as follows:
- Inappropriate application of the tariffs for output reductions associated with defined circumstances as set out in the REF Guidance on Submissions (REF2019/01).
- Inappropriate application of the tariffs for output reductions associated with complex or exceptional circumstances as set out in the REF Guidance on Submissions (REF2019/01).
- Additional evidence for circumstances not available to the ICP at the time of declaration
The following are NOT grounds for appeal:
- Circumstances not meeting those described in the REF Guidance on Submissions (REF2019/01).
The completed form should be submitted to Ruth Sivori, Head of HR
The Appeal Panel will consist of:
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Professor Tim Thornton (Chair)
- A minimum of 2 Associate Deans Research and Enterprise, from outside of the member of staff’s School;
- Professor Monty Adkins (Music, Humanities and Media)
- Professor Nick Hardiker (Human and Health Sciences)
- Professor Simon Iwnicki (Computing and Engineering)
- Professor Roger Phillips (Applied Sciences)
- Professor Stuart Roper (Huddersfield Business School)
- Professor Paul Thomas (Education and Professional Development)
- Professor Patricia Tzortzopoulos (Art, Design and Architecture)
- Director of Human Resources, Siobhan Campbell
You will be informed of the outcome of your appeal in writing.