Intune - Mobile Device Management Project
In line with the increasing demand for mobile accessible services and in response to growing cyber security requirements, UoH is implementing Microsoft Intune for Mobile Device Management (MDM).
Microsoft Intune is a cloud-based enterprise mobility management service that aims to help workforces manage their mobile devices including Laptops, Tablets and Mobile phones. When devices are enrolled into the Intune platform applications can be deployed, profiles and policies can be configured to make sure devices comply with the Universities Enterprise Mobility Strategy and by applying the correct Security and Encryption configuration as guided by the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC).
Microsoft Intune will help provide the University with a secure device and application management suite, which will allow Staff and Students secure access to their data so they can stay productive, whilst keeping their University data protected at all times.
- Microsoft Intune improves security on mobile devices, data and applications.
- Works to secure Windows, Android and iOS devices from one unified mobile solution.
- Integrates Microsoft Defender for Endpoint with Microsoft Intune as a Mobile Threat Defence solution.
- Allows deployment of group policy objects to non-ad bound devices (i.e. cloud based) so mobile devices can share the same user experience as onsite (wired) Desktop devices.
- Microsoft Intune is an integral part of the Enterprise mobility strategy, which will allow us to enable, monitor, and protect our mobile device estate.
For further technical information please see the Intune section on Microsoft’s website
Before we can start the Project we must first clean up or current Intune environment by removing all of the un-used devices.
When a device is removed from Intune the user assigned to that device will get the following pop-up notification:
What this message means is that the device has been removed from Intune (workplace account) and that corporate information and any apps that are delivered to the device will be removed.
As there are no Apps or Policies delivered to the device from Intune the device will function as normal. This will not affect any locally installed or data stored on the device.