Hog-friendly Lockdown Litter Pick Competition
This November the Sustainability Team and the Occupational Health Team are teaming up to encourage you to get involved with the Big Hog-Friendly Lockdown Litter Pick Challenge organised by the Hedgehog Friendly Campus campaign.
As we all prepare to spend more time at home over lockdown, we're reminding you of some of the many benefits of getting outside for a walk:
- Research has shown that walking outdoors is particularly beneficial for mental health. Scientists have found that the positive effects on wellbeing of a walk in nature can last up to 7 hours after an individual has experienced it! We have some beautiful countryside here in Huddersfield to help us reap these benefits.
- Exercise such as walking, gets the heart pumping faster, thus circulating more blood. This is even true on small ambles - not just powerful sprints. All this extra oxygen-rich blood getting to the brain boosts its function, and walking has been found to boost creativity by up to 60%. So next time you are stuck on a problem or need to boost your creativity, taking a walk may be just the thing you need…
- Getting outside and exposing ourselves to sunlight during the day can help us sleep at night. The sunlight (even on a dull day) stimulates melatonin production, which is then released when it is dark at night, making us feel relaxed and sleepy and ready for bed.
So incorporating a daily walk is not only a great way to look after yourself, but if you use it as an opportunity to do some litter picking, it can also be a fantastic way to help the wildlife in your local area who may get tangled in or eat litter that is left lying around. Hedgehogs are particularly vulnerable to the effects of litter, and as their populations continue to decline in the UK its increasingly important that we do as much as we can to give them a helping hand! Our Campus Support Officers will be continuing to conduct regular litter picks on campus to help keep the University as hedgehog friendly as possible.
How To Get Involved
All you have to do to be in with the chance of winning a £10 One For All voucher is get out walking in your local area, collect some litter and send a photo of you and your haul to us on Instagram @hudsustainability or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will showcase the photos on the @hudsustainability Instagram page and on this webpage. The competition will run until 5pm on Thursday 17th December and the winners will be announced on Friday 18th December.
Please make sure you adhere to social distancing and other relevant Covid guidelines and procedures. Litter picking whilst walking would be classed as part of your daily outdoor exercise. Please check Gov.uk for the latest, up to date information. Also, please make sure everybody who features in your photo is happy for it to be posted online.
Please follow this advice issued by Hedgehog Friendly Campus Team
- Sharp Objects (e.g broken glass)
- Clinical waste (e.g syringes)
- Hazardous areas (e.g fast running rivers)
- Lone working if possible
- Heavy Lifting
Please ensure that you:
- Wear gloves
- Cover any cuts
- Keep hands away from eyes and mouth
- Wash hands straight away after litter picking
- Wear sturdy, appropriate footwear and waterproofs if needed
- Recycle all plastic, glass and aluminum
- Adhere to social distancing and other relevant Government procedures.