Extra Mile Awards 2011
2011 winners with the Vice-Chancellor (centre): from left to right, Dr. Gil Pasternak (Joint first), Jon Bush (Third), Karen Currell (Fourth), Jonathan Flynn (Joint first) and Julian Schofield (Fifth)
The Extra Mile Awards 2011 invited students to nominate and acknowledge members of staff who have made a significant difference to their experience of university life; in the 2010-11 scheme we received an unprecedented 570 nominations for 270 staff members. Students nominated staff for a variety of reasons, including:
- Using innovative and inclusive teaching practices which deepened and enhanced their academic learning
- Pastoral support when they faced problems and difficulties relating to both their personal and academic lives
- Helping our international students with the many practicalities involved in coming to the University to study
- Support with work placements and other aspects of gaining relevant experience of their chosen profession
- Assistance in technical and practical work
- Being an inspirational role model – a passion for the subject and community
- Motivating professional development and building confidence.
Short listed colleagues along with a nominating student celebrated at an evening reception and dinner at the Queensgate Restaurant. Also in attendance were the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Tim Thornton: Pro Vice-Chancellor (Teaching and Learning), Deans or their representatives and Liz Towns-Andrews: Head of Research and Enterprise.
Professor Tim Thornton welcomes guests to the Awards evening
Dinner guests to the Awards evening
The Vice-Chancellor: Professor Bob Cryan presented certificates to our five winners and read out quotes from our attending students’ submissions.
- Joint-first prize went to: Dr. Gil Pasternak, senior lecturer in photography and Jonathan Flynn, Senior Lecturer in Physiotherapy.
- Third prize went to: Jon Bush, Lecturer in Architecture
- Fourth prize to: Karen Currell, Senior Lecturer in Nursing and Health Studies
- Fifth prize to: Julian Schofield, Media Technician in the School of Music, Humanities and Media
A further 20 colleagues received awards presented to them by their nominating student.
The selection panel which comprised representative colleagues from across the University faced an extremely difficult task in short listing award recipients. Our congratulations go to the many colleagues who received endorsements for their outstanding support and we would like to thank all our students who supported the scheme by submitting nominations.
The event was organised by the Teaching and Learning Institute and was catered for by BA Year 2 and HND Year 3 Hospitality students, undertaking the Gastronomy option. We would like to say a big thank you to the students who provided an exceptionally professional service on the night; they were assisted by Fiona Moffat and Alice Dyson along with colleagues from the Department of Hospitality Management.
Back to Awards index page