University of Huddersfield Logo

Research Councils Block Grant Requests

UKRI/RCUK has allocated a block grant to the University to contribute towards the cost of Open Access (OA) publishing of UKRI/RCUK funded research outputs, and this is centrally managed by Research Intelligence Team in Research and Enterprise.

University researchers are eligible to apply to this fund if:

  • their peer-reviewed journal article or conference proceeding is the result of research funded by UKRI/RCUK (excluding UK Space Agency and Innovate UK) and
  • the author is employed by the University of Huddersfield (including honorary titles but excluding visiting titles)

If you have any questions over your eligibility to access this grant, please contact the Open Access Manager:


Please ensure you read the requirements below before completeing the APC Request Form:

  • The journal should be compliant with the UKRI/RCUK Access to Research Outputs Policy.
  • We will check all applications and inform you if the publisher does not meet UKRI/RCUK requirements, however authors should read the UKRI/RCUK Open Access Policy as well as the University of Huddersfield Open Access Policy.
  • Articles should be published under a Creative Commons CC-BY license, which many publishers already offer. All other CC license types are non-compliant with the UKRI OA Policy where APCs are being paid.
  • All publications should acknowledge UKRI/RCUK funding and how any underlying research materials, such as data, samples or models, can be accessed as well as affiliating this to the University of Huddersfield.
  • The block grant will be allocated on a first come first served basis. 
  • Given the expectation that the grant will not last us the whole year please always contact the Pure Research Outputs Team via BEFORE agreeing to pay Open Access charges with the publisher or requesting invoices. 
  • Only Open Access fees that are already agreed by Research and Enterprise will be paid. 
  • Notice will be issued when the grant has been spent.
  • Please ensure you have weighed the citation potential of the article with the cost of the APC as UKRI do allow authors to publish Green OA, which is free of charge.
  • UKRI-funded PGRs who are publishing as sole authors, OR are publishing with co-authors who are all external to the University of Huddersfield AND are requesting an APC amount greater than £1000, should contact the Open Access Manager via BEFORE signing any publisher agreements.

Information about publishers who provide paid options for OA (Gold OA) is available on the SHERPA RoMEO website.

You may also find it useful to consult the UKRI Policy on Open Access Frequently Asked Questions.

Please note: The fund cannot be used to pay additional length charges or extra charges for colour images

How do I request payment?

  1. Complete the attached form - ARTICLE PROCESSING CHARGE REQUEST FORM 
  2. Send the completed form to the Open Access Manager via
  3. Wait for a notification that the request has been approved BEFORE signing any publisher agreements
  4. Only once approval has been granted, should authors request invoices.
  5. Approved applicants will be informed where to send invoices.
  6. It is against University of Huddersfield policy to fax credit card details or pay invoices via email or PayPal. Authors should request that publishers set up the invoice so that it can be paid electronically via credit card using a secure link to the publisher’s electronic payment system.
The awards winner 2012, 13, 14, 15
University of the year 2013
QS 4 Star Logo
Athena Swan Bronze Award

VAT registration number 516 3101 90

All rights reserved ©