Working at the University of Huddersfield
As an employee of the University of Huddersfield you have access to lots of employee benefits. But the benefits are not the only great thing about working for the University of Huddersfield. Here is a list of the top five things about working for the University of Huddersfield:
- We have some amazing views – no matter what building you work in, there is usually somewhere in that building where you can find a good view and if not, head up to the top of the Central Services Building.
- The campus is based on the canal – make the most of it, especially in the summer and head out for a lunchtime stroll or just take your sandwiches outside and sit by the canal.
- We look after the environment – whether you’re an eco fanatic or not, you can’t deny that it feels good to do your bit. The University of Huddersfield currently sits 14th in the People and Planet green league after a rapid rise up the table in 2008.
- We support - the University of Huddersfield was awarded Fairtrade status in 2009 and a wide range of Fairtrade products are available from outlets across our campuses, including all restaurants, cafes and shops, plus selected vending machines.
- We keep you healthy – we give you plenty of opportunities to keep fit and healthy whilst you are working at the University including regular walking groups and access to the sports centre – to find out more, visit the Sports Centre pages.
The University of Huddersfield is one of the largest employers in the town with 623 full-time academic staff, over 563 part-time academic staff and about 964 administrative, technical and support staff. In addition to this we have around 21 000 students studying on a variety of degree programmes so working here, you will feel part of a big community rather than just a place to come to work. We have a diverse staff at the University from renowned academics through to leading researchers and a world famous Chancellor – Sir Patrick Stewart.
The University is 100% committed to staff development and we actively encourage all our members of staff to develop their skills whilst they are employed by the University. This may involve brushing up on basic skills or even taking a postgraduate qualification. Our in-house Staff Development Team provides an extensive range of training courses for all career stages and can work with you to pull together an individual training plan.
The University of Huddersfield is committed to investing in property across the campus. Recent investments include the £16 million Business School and our state-of-the-art Creative Arts building with further developments planned.
The University recognises the importance of investing in facilities to produce world leading professionals and this applies to both our students and staff. We hope that by providing a pleasant and modern working environment, our staff will feel at home while they are in the workplace.