University of Huddersfield Logo

Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)

What is WEEE?

The Government introduced the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive to cut down on the amount of electrical equipment sent to landfill sites. "Electrical and Electronic Equipment (EEE)" covers a wide range of items, including:

  • Large and small household appliances – white goods, coffee makers, hair straighteners, dryers, chargers etc.
  • IT and telecommunication equipment
  • Consumer equipment such as TVs, videos, hi-fi
  • Lighting, electrical and electronic tools (except large stationary industrial tools)
  • Electrical Toys, leisure and sports equipment
  • Automatic dispensers
  • Monitoring and control instruments
  • Medical devices (these are exempt from the WEEE recycling and recovery targets)
  • Some exemptions:  national security or military equipment /stationary industrial tools /luminaries in household /implanted or infected medical products

The University’s obligations

Due to government legislation which can be found here, the University has to dispose of and remove WEEE accordingly.

The University’s WEEE policy

 Full details of the University WEEE policy can be found here. (Link to be made available soon).

Who is our WEEE disposal contractor?

 CLS hold the contract for collecting and disposing of appropriate WEEE equipment with Computer Disposals Limited (CDL).  CDL are an NEUPC approved and accredited WEEE disposal firm.

What to do with WEEE? Who is responsible for What?

 Computing and Library Services are responsible for and manage:

The disposal of an aspect of WEEE equipment. This mainly pertains to general and specialist IT, AV, communication and networking equipment as well as other specialist equipment. Currently there are no costs to Schools and Services associated with the collection and disposal of WEEE equipment as detailed below.

  • Small items: Laptop, mobile device, tablet, USB sticks/drives peripherals, kettle, toaster, desk lamp, heater etc
  • Medium items: TV/plasma, microwave, monitor, PC, printer, scanner, audio visual equipment, networking equipment
  • Large items: Large printers, specialist IT and AV equipment, music equipment
  • Other items: Metal (security cages, stands, brackets etc. that may be associated with IT and AV equipment), toasters, kettles, fans small heaters etc

For any equipment as detailed above please raise a ticket with IT Support on x3737 or by emailing The request will be logged on TopDesk our service desk system. A ticket number will be issued and a member of staff from Computing Services will be in contact to arrange a collection or advise accordingly.

School based academic, admin and research staff should in the first instance contact their local technical staff.

Financial Services are responsible for items as detailed below:

  • Photocopiers and MFD’s. Contact Financial Services x2113 for such equipment

Estate Services are responsible for items as detailed below:

  • White goods and other large electrical equipment. Estates Services Helpdesk x2550 should be contacted for such equipment. They use an approved 3rd party company called SUEZ (formally known as SITA)

The weight and hazardous nature of some items may however need to be considered and could incur a cost. If you have any queries or concerns about any such equipment or need advice regards the disposal responsibility of specialist individual equipment please contact the assigned person\team in Computing Services.

Recycling of University owned IT and electrical equipment and peripherals

Where a School\Service has equipment which it wishes to recycle then it should, in the first instance check within its own areas if there is a need for the equipment. If not, a request can be raised to Computing Services to dispose of the equipment.

Rebate or sell on value for University owned IT and electrical equipment and peripherals

For any such items please contact Anwar Hussain (details below). Such requests will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Please note: Under NO circumstances can obsolete or surplus equipment be sold, given away or donated to staff, students, charities or other external organisations. This is strictly against University policy and regulations.

Your personal WEEE equipment

Take any personal WEEE equipment you want to dispose of to your nearest Council-run recycling centre.


If you have any questions or queries in regards to WEEE and disposal, please contact Anwar Hussain on x3665, or email

The awards winner 2012, 13, 14, 15
University of the year 2013
QS 4 Star Logo
Athena Swan Bronze Award

VAT registration number 516 3101 90

All rights reserved ©