Health and safety law poster

This replicates the HSE-approved information that employees must have access to under the Health and Safety Information for Employees Regulations 1989.

Health and safety law: what you need to know

All workers have a right to work in places where risks to their health and safety are properly controlled.  Health and safety is about stopping you getting hurt at work or ill through work.  Your employer is responsible for health and safety, but you must help.

What you employers must do for you.

  1. Decide what could harm you in your job and the precautions to stop it.  This is part of risk assessment.
  2. In a way you can understand, explain how risks will be controlled and tell you who is responsible for this.
  3. Consult and work with you and your health and safety representatives in protecting everyone from harm in the workplace.
  4. Free of charge, give you the health and safety training you need to do your job.
  5. Free of charge, provide you with any equipment and protective clothing you need, and ensure it is properly looked after.
  6. Provide toilets, washing facilities and drinking water.
  7. Provide adequate first-aid facilities.
  8. Report major injuries and fatalities at work to our Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923. Report other injuries, diseases and dangerous incidents online at
  9. Have insurance that covers you in case you get hurt at work or ill through work.  Display a hard copy or electronic copy of the current insurance certificate where you can easily read it.
  10. Work with any other employers or contractors sharing the workplace or providing employees (such as agency workers), so that everyone's health and safety is protected.

 What you must do

  1. Follow the training you have received when using any work items your employer has given you.
  2. Take reasonable care of your own and other people's health and safety.
  3. Co-operate with your employer on health and safety
  4. Tell someone (your employer, supervisor, or health and safety representative) if you think the work or inadequate precautions are putting anyone's health and safety at serious risk.

If there's a problem

  1. If you are worried about health and safety in your workplace, talk to your employer, supervisor, or health and safety representative.
  2. You can also look at our website for general information about health and safety at work.
  3. If, after talking with your employer, you are still worried, you can find the address of your local enforcing authority for health and safety and the
    Employment Medical Advisory Service via HSE’s website:

Fire safety

You can get advice on fire safety from the Fire and Rescue Services or your workplace fire officer.

Employment rights

Find out more about your employment rights at

Contact details for trades union health and safety representatives

University and College Union

Tukun Li


Stephen Howe

Alan Shepherd

Other health and safety contacts

Office of Health and Safety

Occupational Health Department

Academic school and support service health and safety coordinators