The University of Huddersfield is proud to have been accredited as a Disability Confident Employer.
To achieve Disability Confident Employer status, the University has signed up to the following commitments:
- Actively looking to attract and recruit disabled people
- Providing a fully inclusive and accessible recruitment process
- Offer an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job
- Be flexible when assessing people so disabled job applicants have the best opportunity to demonstrate that they can do the job
- Proactively offer and make reasonable adjustments as required
- Encourage our suppliers and partner firms to be Disability Confident
- Ensure employees have appropriate disability equality awareness
- Promote a culture of being Disability Confident
- Support employees to manage their disabilities or health conditions
- Ensure there are no barriers to the development and progression of disabled staff
- Ensure managers are aware of how they can support staff who are sick or absent from work
- Value and listen to feedback from disabled staff
- Review our Disability Confident self-assessment regularly
Staff Disability Network
The University welcomes and supports the development of staff networks. Our staff networks provide an opportunity for staff who share a protected characteristic to network, obtain peer support and share information. They can also offer opportunities for staff to inform university policy on equality-related issues and topics. The networks are run by and for the members, with support from the University EDI Officer.
The Staff Disability Network was formed in October 2018. Members come from across the University and from a variety of roles and the network is always looking for new members and ideas. Please take a look at the terms of reference and contact the Chair if you are interested in joining or would like to find out a bit more about the network, including future meeting dates.
Clare Ibberson-John (Chair)