We aim to make our campus welcoming and inclusive to all students, staff and visitors.
Many of our toilets on our campus are gender specific but gender-neutral toilets are available in some University buildings for employees that prefer to use these. Gender-neutral changing rooms are available in the Sports Centre. We appreciate that some trans people, including those who are non-binary prefer to use gender-neutral facilities.
Gender-neutral toilets can be found in the following places:
- Charles Sikes – 1st Floor
- Joseph Priestley South – Ground, 1st and 2nd floors
- Library - Schwann Level 5
- Sovereign Design House
- International Kitchen - Student Central, level 4
- HR Department - Schwann level 6 – toilet for all, incorporates accessible toilet
- Atkinson Holt - 1st Floor – 2 toilets
- Sir John Ramsden Court - Ground Floor
- Sports Centre – level 3 Student Central, toilet for all, incorporates accessible toilet and changing facility
Upcoming Projects soon to be completed with gender neutral facility provision
- Firth Street - Film Studio
- T1/T2 Research Facilities
The University campus is breastfeeding friendly and there are no restrictions on bottle or breastfeeding at the University. Members of staff are responsible for communicating their requirements for breastfeeding and expressing facilities to their line manager, prior to their return to work or for undertaking any Keeping in Touch Days. Where facilities are required, it is the responsibility of the line manager to identify an appropriate room, as close to where the member of staff is working, as is practicable.
Members of staff are responsible for ensuring any facilities used for breastfeeding or expressing are left clean and tidy for the next user.
There are no storage facilities for breast milk available on campus.
Please note: On return to work from maternity leave, the original risk assessment, which forms part of the Maternity Information Pack, should be reviewed and revised accordingly.